Sharing and preserving the history of Woodstock through inspiring educational experiences and dynamic collections.
The Woodstock History Center employs a multi-faceted approach to achieve its mission of sharing and preserving the history of Woodstock. The Center hosts and organizes a variety of educational experiences including curriculum-linked explorations such as: a Fourth Grade History Fair; heirloom craft workshops; multi-generational community events like the Old Time Fair and a monthly lecture series. Through its publishing arm, the Center also creates resources such as local history books and walking guides to preserve and disseminate historical information.
The History Center also seeks to collect and preserve the area’s history through artifacts and material culture.
Click here to read our bylaws.
The Woodstock Historical Society was founded in February, 1942 by a group of local residents led by Judge Earnest Spear.
The group incorporated in November, 1943, adopting its first official statement of purpose and by-laws. In that same year, the organization acquired a superb Federal house, up-for-sale, to serve as the organization's museum building. Built in 1807 by Charles Dana, a prosperous local dry goods merchant, the fine Federal style house on Elm Street had remained in the Dana family since its creation. Located in the center of town, the structure offered an excellent choice for a museum building and was in prime condition. Accordingly, the Society purchased the property from the Dana Family.
Today, the Woodstock History Center consists of the 1807 Dana House, the John Cotton Dana Research Library and Archives, the George Goodrow Memorial Photographic Archives, the Canaday Gallery, and the gardens and grounds.
We strive to preserve the history and artifacts of the Woodstock area, engage in local history education, serve as a resource center for historical research, and create signature programs and events.