It all started when...
A Brief History of Green Mountain Grange No. 347
By Ruth Shallis, Vermont Standard, 1972
"The Green Mountain Grange, No. 347 of West Woodstock was organized on October 5, 1905. It had a charter membership of sixty-nine persons. Mrs. Ethel Chamberlain is the one surviving charter member. For many years, the Grange met in the one room schoolhouse in West Woodstock without electricity or inside plumbing. The building was heated by two Chunk stoves.
Gradually the Grange grew in membership and attendance was very good at the meetings. Card parties were held to pay for Grange equipment and rent of the schoolhouse. Many Neighbors' Nights were held, with one having an attendance of 120 persons with a hot supper before the meeting..."
"By 1925 the schoolhouse had become too small for the Green Mountain Grange, and so the members began building a home for the Grange on land purchased from Fred Trudo. In May, 1926 the hall was opened and dedicated. The opening ball was held in June with a chicken pie supper and dance.
The Grange has continued to serve the Community. Many anniversaries, meetings, suppers and other social activities have been conducted in the Grange hall. During World War II and the Korean Crisis the Grange entertained the public with a dance every two weeks--twenty pounds of hotdogs and dozens of rolls would be consumed in a very few minutes--to say nothing of coffee.
Time passes on, and the Grange hall has changed some--a new hall roof, remodeled kitchen, new working parlor-wood shed, new heating appliances, and redecoration has taken place..."
"During the winter months, the Grange in Woodstock closes its own doors and meets at the Legion House in Woodstock Village..."